Trusted, strategic, and dedicated legal representation for America’s Cup litigation.
Aaron Siri was counsel to the Golden Gate Yacht Club (Oracle Racing) in its successful legal challenge against Société Nautique de Geneva (Alinghi) to remove Club Nautique Esparron de Verdon (Desafio) as the challenger for the 33rd America’s Cup. During the multiple years that spanned this intense litigation, Mr. Siri was called upon to carefully research, and in the process, obtained detailed knowledge regarding nearly every provision and requirement in the Deed of Gift which governs the America’s Cup, including:
- What is an “annual regatta”
- What is an “ocean water course”
- What is an “organized Yacht Club of a foreign country”
- When is a vessel considered a “yacht or vessel propelled by sails only”
- When is a vessel considered “constructed in the country”
- What is a “custom -house registry”
- The form and content of the notice required to challenge
- The course and rules, and vessel requirements, for a default match
- Which Deed requirements may be waived by agreement
- Transfer of the Cup in situations other than winning a race
- The process for amending the Deed of Gift
Understanding these requirements under the Deed of Gift not only requires legal knowledge but also, in many instances, knowledge of what these terms meant when the Deed of Gift was adopted in 1851. Mr. Siri has extensive experience dealing with precisely these issues.